Friday, February 25, 2011

Who are you?

One of the things I've had to think about lately is identity. What makes you you. I self identify as many things, librarian, geek, dog owner, panda-hater. But is that all I am? No, there are more than just labels that make up what makes you unique.


But what about the biggest label of them all, your name? Your name is a very personal thing, so what happens if your name is no longer your own? Have you suddenly become another person? Would a rose by any other name smell as sweet? Technically roses would smell the same if they were called buttweed but you know they're not. I would be the same person I am now if my name changed technically. Still all the same attributes overall (although I've have to change my gmail address!!!) but still, a name is an important thing. If it wasn't, why would parents agonize over what they're going to name their children and then give them weird names like Apple, or Shiloh or Pilot Inspektor.

I think that tradition is important but also being true to what you believe is ultimately more important. So just like you shouldn't change your core self for another person, you shouldn't HAVE to change your name either if you don't want to. For me, I don't love my name, it's kind of strange but it's mine and I don't think any other name would fit me since I'm kinda strange too. So don't change your name if you feel strongly about the thing, but if your name is Ima Buttweed, dude, totally change your name, and your parents are sadistic bastards.

No comments: