Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Gift Giving

Valentine’s Day is coming up and for all you single folks out there, don’t worry, b/c honestly Valentine’s Day is just a day where guys have to spend a lot of money on stuff that girls don’t need. And for those poor suckers who are in a relationship I’m going to share my perspective on gift giving.

(Like in many things, I hereby reserve the right to be completely contradictory in my viewpoint on gifts. To me, it’s part of the tradeoff we have for giving birth. :P)

Women like compliments and women like gifts, but we don’t want random gifts and compliments b/c if things are given without thought, they lose meaning. Anyone can just buy a box of chocolates but a gift that shows that you know someone is more special and it doesn’t necessarily need to cost more. More money does not necessarily correspond to better gift. A $100 toaster isn’t necessarily better than a $25 dvd that she’s been wanting. Unless it’s like a BSG Toaster b/c that thing is awesome.


The corollary to this is, girls, don’t ask a guy to guess what you want. Guys, especially nerd guys don’t always get the subtle hints and at best, no one is a mind reader. I am a firm believer in communication and if that communication includes things like, “I really like this jacket, it’d make a nice gift” then that’s better than being all weird and evasive and then getting mad if they don’t guess right. It sounds mercenary but I just don’t think it’s fair especially b/c some guys are not great gift givers.

If you’re buying a gift for a girl, you have to be careful what you’re buying b/c you don’t want to give her something too personal unless you really really really know the person. Girls can buy other girls things like lotions and bath stuff and that’s pretty generic gift giving. But if a guy gives a girl lotions and bath stuff it starts crossing into the creepy too personal zone. Stay away from that stuff unless you’re in a relationship with them, and not just a friendship relationship. Also, clothes is pretty personal too, especially any type of underwear and most pajamas. If it looks sexy you might be crossing some lines so unless you’ve seen her underwear, stay away from gifting it. If you’re dating a nerd girl though, I think we’d appreciate gadgets and toys and books and dvds a lot. I know I’d rather get books than chocolates anyday.

I think it’s important to think about what you’re giving. To me gift cards are great things when you’re buying for people you don’t know that well. For friends you don’t see often and you don’t know what they have, they are great. Coworkers, same thing. But if you’re dating someone and you’ve seen their house you should have an idea of what they like and don’t like, and what they own and what they might want to own. And I think it’s ok to ask their friends and family and check out wishlists and if you’re very desperate, ask them for a hint.

Anyhow, that’s my spiel on gifts…basically, yes, I want gifts.

No comments: